25 March 2013

Lemon Shortbread

My usual Friday night boredom set in (I really should be more social) and inspired by the last Masterchef masterclass of the season I dived into my cookbook cupboard in search of baking delights. Preferably something I won't want to eat all of at once (ie: chocolate cake). I settled on shortbread with a lemony twist as I still have a bowl-full of them thanks to Mother-dearest. Lovely homegrown ones so full of juicy flavoursome goodness. And of course I'll share with you lot!
  • 2 lemons 
  • 2 cups plain flour
  • 1 cup rice flour
  • 1/3 cup caster sugar (plus some for sprinkling)
  • 220g butter, soft
Preheat oven to 130C.

Mix dry ingredients together in a large bowl. Add the zest of one lemon to mix. Cube butter and rub into dry ingredients. Add juice of both lemons. If the dough won't stick together add a little more butter.

Remove from bowl and knead until smooth. Roll out to 0.5-1cm thick and cut into rectangles. Place on lined baking sheets. Prick with a fork (yes, you can make pretty patterns if you want to!) and sprinkle with a little extra caster sugar just to make them look 'profesh' (totally a word according to Urban Dictionary).

Bake for 30-45 minutes. Depends on how golden you like them, they should still be very pale to be cooked correctly. Mine turned out a little overcooked last night... woops. 

Best enjoyed with a strong, milky tea such as my fav Irish Breakfast! Although for the afternoons a lighter Darjeeling or Earl Grey (to pick up on that citrus) while reading about Louboutin in GW sunning yourself on a balcony is highly recommended!  



    Shoes and shortbread = Afternoon Delight!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment