4 April 2013

Nigella Challenge: Damp Lemon & Almond Cake

This is luscious. There is no other word to describe it. To quote a friend - it's one of my best baking ventures yet. It's so aromatic. As it bakes the whole house was filled with the tang of lemon and warmth of almond. I wonder if you could turn it into a scented candle?

This cake brings together 2 of Nigella's favourite ingredients: lemon and almond. And I am hooked (and I've only had one piece so far!).

N.B. This can very easily become gluten/dairy free by switching some ingredients - the butter becomes margarine and the flour becomes a gluten free variety. Easy as!
  • 225g unsalted butter, softened
  • 225g caster sugar
  • 4 eggs
  • 50g plain flour 
  • 1/2 tsp almond essence
  • 225g almond meal
  • zest and juice of 2 lemons
Preheat oven to 180C. Line a 22-25cm round cake tin (can be spring-form, or not)

Beat butter and sugar  in small bowl of an electric mixer until pale. Add one egg at a time, followed by a tablespoon of flour. Beat well after each to combine. Add any remaining flour and the almond essence.

Transfer batter to a larger bowl and add almond meal, zest and juice. Fold in gently to combine.

Pour batter into prepared tin and bake for 50 - 70 minutes, depending on your oven. To avoid the top burning, cover with foil after 20-30 minutes (I left mine a little late and it is overly brown). Definitely test this one with a skewer - it should come out clean but with a little moisture on it.

Rest in tin for 5 minutes before removing to cool. The resting stops it from falling apart, as cakes tend to do when still hot.

Serve either slightly warm with a cup of black tea or it makes a wonderful dessert topped with raspberries and a dollop of mascarpone (according to Nigella anyway, whose opinion I trust!)

nigella lawson lemon and almond cake

lemon


gluten free lemon and almond cake

10 comments:

  1. I could've eaten that entire cake !

    ReplyDelete
  2. This cake keeps in fridge for several days, unless you eat it first. One of the most delicious cakes ever, so popular.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you not need any baking powder/bicarb?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made this and subbed almond meal for 100g ground almonds and approximately 50g desiccated coconut. I omitted vanilla and as my batter was very wet because of having large eggs I added some more flour. I used a lot of zest and massaged the lemons well to max lemon flavour. I cooked for an hour, in a 2 pound loaf tin, adding flaked almonds about 15 mins before the hour was up. The cake was delicious and moist but not damp. Probably because I’d added extra flour but it was great as a cake.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous cake, keeps well best lemon cake recipe I had ground almonds, that worked I also added baking powder just a teasp.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I find this cake is best if left wrapped in foil for at least a day before eating...if you can resist the temptation! It helps with the "damp" element.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Completely delicious. Definitely to be repeated.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lemon and almond combination is great, i like it.
    Chocolate Cookies

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anyone know if I can freeze portions?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum yum yummy Thank you : )

    ReplyDelete