6 April 2013

Coconut Ice

VINTAGE POST:

There has been very little baking in my life over the last two months. I moved flats, and ended up in my kind of hell - kitchenless. Well there is a kitchen, but I'd rather not have a side of bacteria with my dinner if I can avoid it.

There has been a few trips to friends kitchens to borrow their ovens, but the practicality of this wasn't really working out. And then I had to pack up the love of my life, my Mix Master, and put it into storage all safe until I return from being overseas (did I tell you that? Well I am off to the Norwich in England for a semester on university exchange).

I was becoming a little desperate, and a lot bored, not being able to cook. So I had to get creative. Welcome to "Baking Without Baking 101". This little series of posts will hopefully prove to all you doubters out there that there really is no need for fancy equipment, and hardly even a kitchen! A fridge and microwave is all you need, and I imagine even in the most wanting of cooking spaces these are available.

First up is Coconut Ice. A long time favourite of mine and one of the first things I was allowed to make on my own. There are 2 distinct versions of coconut ice; one made with copha and the other condensed milk. Can you guess which I prefer?
  • 2 cups icing sugar
  • 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
  • 1 can condensed milk (about 400g)
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract/essence (you could use a strawberry or raspberry flavour if you like, though that's not strictly traditional)
  • 3 1/2 cups desiccated coconut
  • 2-3 drops pink food colouring
Line a 20cm square tin with baking paper (or some prefer plastic wrap). 

Combine icing sugar, cream of tartar, condensed milk, and vanilla in a large bowl. Add coconut and mix with hands to combine. 

Press half the mixture into prepared tin and set aside.

With remaining mixture, mix through the food colouring (again use your hands). Press into tin on top of the white mixture. Smooth top with the back of a spoon.

Chill in fridge for 2 hours until firm and cut into small pieces to serve. 



No comments:

Post a Comment