2 April 2013

Flatbread Pizzas

This is inspired by Donna Hay's 'harissa pumpkin and goat's cheese pizza' from her book 'Simple Dinners'. I didn't have harissa, butternut pumpkin is too expensive, I'm not a fan of onion relish and prosciutto is waaaay out of my budget at the moment. So, some changes had to be made (if you want the original I'm afraid you'll have to buy the book as she doesn't have it online).
  • 1 x flat bread (I used a wholemeal lebanese bread)
  • 2 tbsp pesto (of any kind, purchased or homemade. I definitely recommend any from Barilla particularly the Pesto Rosso one I used. A-MAZING)
  • 1 sprig rosemary
  • handful baby spinach leaves, torn up
  • 500g pumpkin, cubed (whatever's in season/cheapest)
  • goat's cheese (I used a fetta - see the photo below because it's one of the best cheeses I've had in awhile)
Preheat the oven to 180C. Line a pizza tray (or other flat baking tray/sheet) and place base on top. Spread generously with pesto (feel free to use more than 2 tablespoons!), then sprinkle with rosemary and spinach leaves. 
Soften the pumpkin a little by placing it in a freezer bag (or one of the ones you put fruit and vege in at the  supermarket if your all eco-friendly/saving money by not buying plastic bags), tossing in a little oil and cracked pepper. Microwave on high for 2 minutes. Spread cubes evenly over pizza. 
Finish by crumbling cheese over the pizza. Bake for 10-15 mins (depending on thickness of your base), until browned on edges and pumpkin beginning to caramelise. 

This is a great lunch, or a quick and easy dinner. Plus its healthy! Experiment with toppings, and maybe let me know what you've used. Speaking of which, readers feel free to send me recipe ideas/ photos of your creations. I may even try a few out and pop them up on here! Could inspire a new section of reader contributions. Let me know what you're all thinking. 

pumpkin and feta pizza

barilla pestoflatbread pumpkin pizzaflatbread pizza

kebia goat's milk feta

2 comments:

  1. OH MY GOD that looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definately recommended. Plus its good for you.

    ReplyDelete