25 February 2014

Impossible Quiche

So there's this thing called impossible quiche my Mum always makes, and it's an old recipe of my Grandma's which I have (and thus one of my treasured possessions as it's her original hand-written one). Well I've gone and proved everyone wrong, because it's totally possible! Mine is a slight variation though as I kind of didn't realise I had the actual recipe. But then maybe thats what makes it impossible... it's a trick recipe!
  • 1 rasher bacon, diced (fat trimmed - health kick remember)
  • 1/4 onion, finely chopped
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1 cup baby spinach leaves, chopped roughly
  • handful fresh basil, chopped  
  • sprig rosemary
  • black pepper
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1/4 cup grated tasty cheese
  • 2 tbsp plain flour (I used wholemeal)
Preheat oven to 200C.

Fry bacon, onion and garlic in a dash of oil until the bacon is just crispy and  the onion translucent.

Whisk egg and milk until well combined. Whisk in flour. Add bacon mix, spinach, herbs, cheese and season with pepper. Whisk to combine and pour into a baking dish (or pie dish). Sprinkle with a little extra cheese and season. 

Bake for 20 minutes, until golden.

The flour will sink to the bottom and form a thin little base. You can add more flour if you want (Grandma's recipe uses 3/4 cup). It's the best lunch! We all get a little sick of sandwiches and salad sometimes. Feel free to jazz it up with different vege and herbs. Roast pumpkin, zucchini, kale, corn, asparagus, beetroot... Whatever really. Use the herbs you have to hand. Actually, this recipe is just about using what you have: I always have eggs, some dairy and flour so the rest is a mystery!





No comments:

Post a Comment