9 March 2014

Mini Fruit Pies

Pastry is not as daunting as you think. Well, a simple shortcrust isn't. I've never attempted a puff and I suspicions I never will.

These little pies are very basic and you could use any number of fillings. Stewed apples, pears, berries, rhubarb and strawberry, a great variety of stone fruit... The combinations are limited only by your imagination. These ones are nectarine though from a jar I had sitting about in the cupboard.

I apologise for the lack of precise measurements, but in a way that's really the point of the recipe.
  • 2 cups plain flour
  • 1 tsp caster sugar
  • 3 tbsp margarine/soft butter
  • squeeze lemon juice
  • cold water
  • 1 large jar/tin of stewed fruit
  • 1 packet good quality puff pastry
Rub together flour and margarine with fingertips to form crumbs. Add squeeze of lemon to cup of water. Add a little water at a time until it comes together to form a soft dough. Knead lightly then roll out to 5mm thick.

For mini pies cut 10cm circles and slit to middle. Fit into muffin tins and blind bake (I used patty cases filled with my pie weights) at 180C for 10-15 minutes till cooked through and pale golden. 

For the pie filling, spoon in a generous tablespoon of stewed fruit (homemade or bought).

I used store bought puff pastry for the lids cut into 7cm circles (pricked with a fork in the centre) and fitted over the top. Bake for 10-15 mins until puffed up and golden. Doesn't matter if the juices come through a bit, they go all lovely and caramelised. 

Serve warm with a scoop of vanilla ice-cream. Perfection.


1 comment:

  1. I love your blog! Wish I actually had the energy, money cook myself. Would love to try some of these recipes! But alas, I just eat out a lot instead (as you can see from my blog haha)

    ReplyDelete