17 July 2014

Book Review: The Distant Hours

The Distant Hours by Kate Morton
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This is the second time I've read this book, and it has lost none of its mystery. It is truly captivating. Kate Morton has a way of writing that compels the reader to continue, making them unable to put it down until all the questions are answered. And answered they are, all in due time. It's present in all her books and is something I've not come across with as much success in any other books.

Don't try and work it out. Don't think you've figured it out (I've read it twice and I couldn't pick it). The ending is far greater than your own imagination would have you believe, and yet at the same time it all seems so obvious. The tragedy and sadness of the whole situation is beyond tears, and beyond words. All I know is that I've not felt hatred for a character (who hardly appears, yet overwhelms the text as he does the characters lives) as I do for Raymond Blythe. Its tragic love story and murder mystery, set against the complexities of family and intricacies of time. Some things surprise you (watch Percy, she's the biggest surprise) and others simply shock. All I know for certain however is that Raymond Blythe's actions cause everything. Because of him, so many lives are ruined. Although - its possible you could blame it on his own mother... I've finished it and the complications are still plaguing me. It will make you think, question your morals and consider those ties that bind families so tightly.

Read all of Kate Morton's books - they are addictive. While not a great literary talent, her books are bestsellers for the right reason: she is a storyteller of the highest order.


buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery

No comments:

Post a Comment