26 July 2014

Book Review: Those Faraday Girls

Those Faraday Girls by Monica McInerney
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

****SPOILER ALERT****

Three stars because of the ending. I hated it. No resolutions, corny or otherwise. To put it simply, books like this aren't meant to be realistic. There should be a joyful endings where all the troubles are swept away. And because of this, my normal strategy doesn't apply to judging it. I always like to judge a book within its category, so in this case chick lit, but because of the ending it doesn't work. What I'm saying is, that this book is trying to be something it's not. Which is a shame because it's great.

The characters are great - very dynamic. And the story itself works well. It's captivating and hard to put down. It's also massive so when you get to the end only to find nothings happened, one feels rather frustrated.

This is the second time I've read it, and I am a fan of McInerny. She does the genre well normally, but by trying to think outside the box she's cheated her reader of what they really want: a happy ending.


buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery

No comments:

Post a Comment