20 March 2013

Honey Jumble Cakes

VINTAGE POST:

In classic me-style, at about 9:30 last night I decided it was a great idea to bake. Also great time for a cleaning spree. Home alone on a Saturday night and I'm cleaning? WHAT KIND OF 20-YEAR-OLD UNI STUDENT AM I??? I'm pretty sure I have a problem and need help. My housemate would agree with this no doubt - come to think of it I think he's expressed this on a number of occasions. I am actually really keen to do my ironing! If anyone has any ideas on how to make me a more appropriate uni student let me know asap. Please!

Anyway, these are Donna Hay's honey jumble cakes. They smell amazing when they're in the oven. The whole house smelt like honey! Until I killed it off by bleaching a shirt...
  • 1 cup self raising flour
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 cup caster sugar
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon (or nutmeg... or both... whatever takes your fancy really)
  • 1/2 cup honey
  • 70g butter
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 cup milk
Preheat oven to 160C (170 for conventional).

Combine dry ingredients in a bowl. Melt butter and honey over low heat until smooth. Whisk egg and milk. Add wet ingredients to dry and mix well till smooth.

You can bake these in either mini loaf tins or in muffin tins. I just used regular muffin tins. Pour mix into tin and bake for 20-30 mins till golden and cooked through. Should spring back when pressed on top/knife or skewer should come out clean. 

While they're baking, mix up the icing using 1 cup icing sugar (use 2 if you use an electric mixer/beater), 2 tbsp soft butter, 2 tbsp honey and 1 tbsp hot water. If you use an electric mixer the icing will be thick and creamy. If you mix by hand it will be quite runny and more like a glaze, which I quite like. Make sure muffins are cool before icing or you'll have a massive mess! 

I munched on one with a cup of French Earl Grey from T2 this afternoon. Yum yum!

Happy blogging times with tea and cake. 

No comments:

Post a Comment