29 April 2013

Book Review: Suite Française

Suite Française by Irène Némirovsky
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

A beautiful read. It won't change your life as some books do, but it gives an astounding insight into a little talked of world.

Written about many different, but interconnected lives, (rather in the style of 'Love Actually') I found it made me feel I was experiencing the Occupation alongside the characters. There was a wonderful sense of realness to the book. There were no over-the-top heroics, no crazed levels of violence, nothing completely horrifying. All-in-all, it was probably a very pragmatic approach.

To be able to tell a story almost completely devoid of fanfare and for it still to be so engaging is a wonderful thing. I can't wait to read more of Irène Némirovsky's work.


buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery

No comments:

Post a Comment