23 April 2013

Book Review: The House of Mirth

The House of Mirth by Edith Wharton
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I approached this book with caution, as I tend to most classics. I always question whether I will enjoy reading them as they often require so much focus that the experience is no longer relaxing.

This was a surprise indeed.

There are many twists and turns, and I was clamoring for the end to discover what was the result of Lily Bart's social demise. I also found it interesting as this is a very American novel; I much prefer British social commentaries.

I felt for Lily Bart. She was born and raised to be a society maiden, but a lack of money and family importance, and just a few social misdemeanors and your world will come crashing down. She may have brought about her own downfall, but how could it be helped when it was all she knew?


buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery

No comments:

Post a Comment