13 May 2013

Book Review: Saturday

Saturday by Ian McEwan
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This is far and away like nothing I have read before, and I feel I may not read again. Unless I pursue more of McEwan's works (I probably should). I read Atonement and was swept away in the romantic mystery. There is no romance here, there is no mystery. Everything is laid bare, even our minds with the descriptions of Perowne's surgeries. I did struggle with that, but friends will tell you I go faint at the thought of this kind of thing usually (I never made it to the end of Ted Hughes's 'Red').

This book is not for the fainthearted. Nor is it for anyone who dislikes reading something that they won't be able to get out of their heads for sometime. There is a very visually confronting scene towards the end that I feel I should warn you about, but I won't give any more away.

You will love this or you will hate it. There is no room to sit on the fence. Haunting and confronting, I dare you to read it.



buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery

No comments:

Post a Comment