29 May 2013

Book Review: The Other Side of the Story

The Other Side Of The Story by Marian Keyes
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Gemma is hilarious and Jojo is fabulous, but Lily is just self-centred and boring. I don't know how but Keyes makes me desperately sorry for Jojo stuck as a mistress and of course you feel for Gemma as life seemingly crumbles. But Lily just annoyed me with her continually dithering about how horrible life is. Of course you won't have many friends when you steal one if their boyfriends (every one knows you never dip your toes in that water!). And really your life isn't do bad - beautiful child, loving partner & book published! It's a veritable check list! But then she grew a pair (sorry for the expression - so unlike me but I was rather inspired by Jojo's hard talking American ways) and I liked her again. As did the other two just in time for me not to throw the book down in frustration. Happy endings all round! But you expect nothing less in this genre.

My only question to the author would be this: did you realise as you were panning Lily and Gemma's books that you were also writing a bunch of unrealistic nonsense in the same genes as their's?




buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery

No comments:

Post a Comment