17 June 2013

Book Review: Trivia

Walking the Streets of Eighteenth-Century London: John Gay's Trivia by Clare Brant
My rating: 1 of 5 stars

In a word? Pointless.

It began as amusing; the imagery way lovely and the purpose endearing. I was thinking "isn't the everyday spectacular!". And then it went on, and on, and on, and on. About nothing at all really. And then reading the editor's notes at the end, you discover the author is a hypocrite. There is nothing I dislike more than an author who writes what without truth and feeling. I felt let down by John Gay. There isn't much worse than feeling let down by a book.

I read this as part of my studies in 18th Century writing, and to be frank, I believe they could have chosen are far better text for study.




buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery

No comments:

Post a Comment