25 July 2013

Book Review: In My Sister's Shoes

In My Sister's Shoes by Sinéad Moriarty
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I realised about half way in that I'd read this book before, and from memory I'd rather enjoyed it. But as with all things, knowing the ending can be a bit of a spoiler. I persisted nonetheless.

This time round, I actually found some of the characters to be rather annoying - but probably not the ones you think! I identified with Kate (small town girl, can't wait to escape) and as a result I found her families' (namely her father's) insistence that she 'settle down' and 'find a man to look after her' incredibly frustrating. Why should she stay in Ireland? And why should she have to choose between her career and having a family? Yes there must be compromise, but I really saw her side of the situation - why did it always have to be her compromise? The entire book is centred around Kat becoming less self-centred, but really is wanting to make a successful life for yourself selfish? You could say it all works out in the end (I mean it is chick lit), but I felt a little let down that she didn't stick to her guns.

Fiona annoyed me too. No one can possibly be that selfless! What really got me was how she settled for less. She was smarter than her husband but she let him have all the glory! He seemed to me the kind of man who wanted a wife not a companion. I actually really disliked him - but then I think you're meant too.

Aside from all that, I really enjoyed the book (Derek and Gonzo are brilliant inclusions, and probably saved the book for me). If you have strong feminist inclinations, maybe don't read it. But other than that its fairly light hearted (I read it in a day).



buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery

No comments:

Post a Comment