21 September 2013

Book Review: Fantomina

Fantomina; Or, Love In A Maze by Eliza Haywood
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I read this for university (I was taking a class on 18th Century Literature) and as with many classic texts they can be a challenge. Though isn't that part of why we read them?

Its a short and interesting tale of a bored, London society girl. I imagine there were quite a lot of them at the time. Whats rather startling, once you come to realise it, is how she combats her boredom. Quite the little minx, but I can't help feeling Beauplaisir got a little of what he deserved.

I read a copy of the original publication and unless you find reading historical language relatively easy (or fun?), I suggest getting a modern version of the text.


buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery

No comments:

Post a Comment