8 January 2014

Nigella Challenge: Coffee & Walnut Splodge Biscuits

I am not a coffee person. For a little while when I first started university I tried to convince myself I was, but I felt like such a fraud. And back to my tea pots I went.

However, I seem to like it in baked goods and desserts. Really, who could resist a tiramisu? These cakey biscuits would be a delightful accompaniment for coffee (I imagine), but they aren't quite so good with tea.

They are an absolute doddle to make. Hardly any ingredients, but the espresso powder is crucial for the proper taste. You'll find it easily in the supermarket, and it is the best thing to use any time dried coffee is called for.
  • 250g plain flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 200g butter, softened
  • 75g caster sugar
  • 60g brown sugar
  • 2 tbsp instant espresso powder
  • 2 eggs
  • 200g walnuts, roughly chopped
Preheat oven to 180C. Line a couple of baking sheets with baking paper.

Cream butter and sugars with an electric mix master. Add coffee, and then eggs.

Gently fold in flour, baking powder and walnuts. Mix until just combined - you don't want to over mix or you'll have tough cookies.

Drop tablespoonfuls of the sticky mixture onto baking trays, leaving 4-5cm between them as they spread considerably. Bake for 12 minutes until golden and firm to touch. Cool on a rack.




1 comment: