27 March 2014

Book Review: Golden Earrings

Golden Earrings by Belinda Alexandra
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I love the mystery of Belinda Alexandra novels. She sweeps you along on someone else's journey and just as you think you have it figured out, she throws you some new clue. I read these novels ferociously trying to get to the end and see what really happens.

What else I love is how the stories and the characters feel both so extraordinary and real at the same time. How does she do it? I think part of it is the history - it is much easier to believe in a story when the circumstances surrounding it are real. In this case, the Spanish Civil War (a period I am now fascinated by). Golden Earrings has become a particular favourite because she does this particularly well. The characters here have such conviction.

Alexandra throws you about emotionally, and its not long before Paloma's investigations become your own. I felt as desperate as she did. Thus, of course, I found this book near impossible to put down.

Say what you will about Alexandra's bestseller, mass appeal - I will simply argue there is a reason for it. Golden Earrings proves once again that Alexandra is a captivating writer capable of transporting readers.


buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery

No comments:

Post a Comment