25 June 2014

Book Review: Call the Midwife

Call the Midwife: A True Story of the East End in the 1950s. Jennifer Worth by Jennifer Worth
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

If you love the television series, you will love this even more I promise you. It is hard not to feel something for Jennifer Worth's heartwarming tale of life in the East End.

If you have seen the series, just be warned that many things are a little different and that many things are not new. But I really didn't think that mattered.

You get a real sense of what life was like for the midwives and residents of the East End in London post-WW2. There was plenty of hardship, but no one seemed particularly unhappy. I got the feeling they were just thrilled to have made it through the war and to be getting on with life. Worth doesn't hold back, but I think in the manner of a true lady she does not press us with unnecessary gory details. They would seem out of place in her writing. It is a very female book, and I think intentionally so. Worth knows who her audience will be.

I just could not get Vanessa Redgrave's voice out of my head though...


buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery

No comments:

Post a Comment