1 July 2014

Book Review: Shadows of the Workhouse

Shadows of the Workhouse by Jennifer Worth
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Not as good as the first in the series, but still a wonderful read.

There was a little repetition, and I found the author to be more removed from the experiences as a lot of them she wasn't directly a part of. This is more reiteration than memoir. It is much more fact heavy thanks to this slight removal of the author.

There is still such emotion here though, and the people and their stories so enveloping. It is very hard to put down. There is a level of understanding on the authors part that is portrayed naturally to the reader. I very much felt that I could have been sitting with the author experiencing many of the conversations myself.

And that is the gift of Jennifer Worth. She has an ability to draw one in and seamlessly blend historical fact and personal experience. She excels at very simple, but very vivid description.

'Shadows of the Workhouse' is a natural progression from 'Call the Midwife' and I look forward to reading more of the series.


buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery

No comments:

Post a Comment