7 June 2014

Book Review: Oriental Dinner Party Cookbook

Oriental Dinner Party Cookbook by Australian Women's Weekly
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I love Australian Women's Weekly cookbooks - they are true classics. The sleek modern ones and old second hand ones I've picked up in Vinnies sit side by side on my book shelves. But it is the second hand ones I love the most. Filled with delicious food and amusing - what more could a girl ask for?

This one is a real classic. 'Oriental' should give it away really. Some of the food is delicious looking, some suspect and the Chinese chapter is like a trip down memory lane, back to the country town Chinese restaurant of my childhood where the most exotic thing I ate was beef and black bean and my go to was that yummy, crunchy honey chicken (those crunchy noodles they served it on - so good!).

When I saw this sitting quietly on a shelf in Newtown Vinnies a week ago I knew it was meant to be. Whether or not I ever cook from it, I've already had so much enjoyment from it to consider it the best $2.50 I've spent in awhile!

It's a tricky one to track down being out of print (though I thought I saw a reprint a little while ago?) but try eBay and keep an eye out in any second hand stores. Booko.com.au could also be useful - it's a great price comparison website for new and used books, and is always my first port of call for buying any books.

No comments:

Post a Comment